A powerful idea— if you lived your life on loop, where your 24 hours of your day was put on repeat for infinity — would you be overjoyed or would you want to commit suicide? (Nietzche’s idea of ‘Eternal Recurrence’)
This is the only way to know whether you are living a life true to yourself or not.
1. What is an ideal lifestyle for you?
For example, just imagine your ideal 24 hours. How would you spend your time, and what would you do in those 24 hours? Who would you spend those 24 hours with— and who would you not spend those 24 hours with? What would you create? What would you consume?
2. Listen to your favorite songs or albums on loop
Examples: I only know whether I really like a certain song, whether I can listen to it on repeat at least 100 times in a row. What songs pass that test for you? For me, the only song for that test is ‘Saint Pablo’ by Kanye West, ‘Black Skinhead’ by Kanye West, ‘I got the keys’ by Jay-Z, ‘U mad’ by Vic Mensa, ‘DNA.’ by Kendrick Lamar, ‘Element.’ by Kendrick Lamar, and ‘Humble.’ by Kendrick Lamar.
My favorite albums: Yeezus by Kanye West, Watch the Throne by Jay-Z/Kanye, The Life of Pablo by Kanye West, and DAMN. by Kendrick Lamar.
3. Would you want to look at your own photos forever?
If you can similarly look at one of your own photos 100 times, and like it every time you look at it — which photo would that be? And which of your photos do you start to dislike the more you look at it?
4. What tools would you use forever?
What is one outfit you can wear for the rest of your life, for infinity?
What is one camera and one lens you can shoot with for the rest of your life, for infinity?
5. Who is your best friend?
Who is that one friend who you can be with everyday, forever— and never get bored of them? That person would be Cindy.
6. My ideal 24 hours
So my ideal life involves the following:
– Going to my favorite coffee shop
– Learning about philosophy and art
– Creating (making photos, making blog posts, making videos, making illustrations, making poems, and making meaning with my art)
– Being with Cindy
– A lovely and engaging 3-hour dinner with Cindy and friends/family.
– Listening to hip hop music (Jay-Z, Kendrick Lamar, and Kanye West)
– Giving gratitude to God, friends, family, all of you, and my gratitude of being alive.
Yeah, so if I could live this life on loop for 1,000 years — I think I would be happy. I would throw my hands up and shout: ‘Hallelujah!’
Homework assignment: Write what would your ideal 24 hours would be— and calculate how much money you will need everyday to live that lifestyle.
Learn more: Philosophy >