I have the wrong impression that if I somehow bought a new camera, a new gadget, or gizmo– I will somehow become more creative.
I often genuinely believe that I’m ‘missing out’ by not having the newest and greatest.
The real fault? Myself.
1. Ignore the sirens
In the Odyssey by Homer, Ulysses has to sail past the sirens. Imagine the sirens as some evil, man-eating mermaids. But they were so beautiful, and had the most intoxicating songs. Many sailors jumped to their death, because they couldn’t resist the temptations of the sirens.
So what did Ulysses do? He ordered his fellow sailors to tie himself to the mast (front) of the ship. And to fill his ears with beeswax.
The sirens in today’s world are blogs, gear review sites, advertising, marketing, and social media.
To overcome GAS, I had to plug my ears with wax. Which meant installing extension plugins on my browser (Stayfocusd on Chrome, and Wastenotime in Safari) to block myself from visiting distracting gear websites. I don’t trust
2. One camera, one lens
Too many options is creative death. Fewer options, more ingenuity, and more creativity.
So I’ve given myself a creative constraint of sticking with just one camera, one lens.
Now, I don’t stress about the gear to use. I know my limitations, the Ricoh GR II and the integrated (non-changeable) 28mm lens.
As an assignment, lock all your cameras in the closet, and just choose one camera, one lens to use for a year. Better yet, give away all your cameras to your friends, family, or those who you think can use it better than you (what I did).
3. Why do you make photos?
The last question to ask yourself:
“Why do I make photos?”
When you figure out why you make photos; you will figure out that you don’t need the fanciest gear to make the images you want.
Ask yourself why you make photos. To get more Instagram likes and followers? Or to fulfill your creative spirit and soul?
More articles on how to overcome GAS:
- How to Stop Pixel-Peeping
- Why I Shoot With One Camera and One Lens
- 30 Tips to Conquer G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)
- Gear Allergy Syndrome
- Disregard Differences, Notice Similarities
- More Megapixels, More Problems
- Sensor Envy
- If Your Camera Isn’t Good Enough, Your Camera isn’t Expensive Enough
- How to Be Grateful For What You Have
- Having No Choices is the Ultimate Freedom
- Technology Won’t Fix Your Problems
- Why is Image Quality Important?
- Why Sharpness is Overrated in Street Photography
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- The Film Shooter
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
MUSE by KIM
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
Street Photography Starter Kit
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179