I’d like to start by thanking everyone who joined our Streettogs Academy facebook page and giving a congratulations to everyone who participated in our first Assignment and props to Helio Tomita who got our Editor’s choice. We hope you learned something new from that assignment. As promised, our editor’s choice will be the one choosing the theme for our next assignment. Here are some of Helio’s thoughts in selecting our assignment:
I think it would be interesting to do something that is not concrete, but something abstract as a feeling… Themes that need some sensitivity and rapidity in the capture, since they are usually fleeting. They are not permanently available to the photographer, but are happening all the time in the streets.
Based on that thought, Helio’s assignment for us is:
Think about it for a second.
It really is indeed happening on the streets all the time. There are friends meeting up in the streets hugging or going in night outs. Sometimes, friendship also manifests it self to different species like a human and his companion dog. So many things are there but I guess the challenge is making that connection with the viewer that when he sees the photograph, he will miss his best friend. The biggest task for this is to be able to convey the emotion of friendship.
Here are the mechanics:
- Upload your photos interpreting the theme in the designated assignment album!
- No words and captions, just your name, and place where you took the photo.
- On the comment on your own photo, post a link to your site (flickr, tumblr, webpage etc.) so that your photo would easily appear on the group’s feed. (Please do it only once)
- Feel free to use film, digital, instant film, mobile phones, etc. Any Camera will do
- Keep the file appropriate for web viewing (at least 72 dpi), no need for hi-resolution.
Other things to know:
- We encourage you to shoot during the duration of the 2 weeks instead of raiding your archives.
- It should go without saying but please post photos that you own.
- This assignment will run from July 17 to August 3 2014
- Don’t hesitate to ask questions or clarifications in the group page.
- Be open to learning, get up to the challenge, and of course have fun doing it!