- Go out and shoot for fun
- When you’re composing, take your time, and experiment and have fun
- Shoot lots of photos of the same scene
- Experiment with different distances, different perspectives
- When you go home, analyze your photos. Try to figure out why you prefer certain compositions over others.
- Sketch your favorite compositions to discover which if your compositions you prefer the best.
In praise of iPad to study composition
I love iPad and procreate to sketch my compositions to teach myself.
My process is this:
- Choose a photo I like
- Sketch the composition
- Discover interesting compositions while I’m sketching them
- Try to deduce some sort of practical takeaways afterwards and during the composition sketching process.
- Share my findings on this blog, which helps me actually better learn.
I like to turn my compositions into animated GIF to self teach myself.
Or make slideshows with WordPress Jetpack plugin:
Let curiosity drive you:
To me, composition is one of the greatest games and joys:
As a visual explorer, you will discover NEW compositions in your photography and also compositions from the past masters!