In a world with Uber, and in a future of electric self-driving cars — what are cars for? Which cars are the best, and for what?
If you only owned one car
Best car to own is a Tesla Model S, P100D, ie. the performance model (ideally with autopilot and full-self driving ability). Why?
- Free unlimited supercharging: It “feels”better to NOT pay money every single time you’re at the gas pump.
- Fastest speed: 0-60 in 2.4 seconds! Faster than Model 3, and faster than Lamborghini or any other sports car in the range.
- Autopilot and self-driving: Makes commuting 1000x less painful.
What’s the future of cars?
- Car as a luxury object: Buying a Lamborghini because it looks cool. The car as sculpture.
- Car as “driving for pleasure”on the weekends: The joy of a convertible Miata on the weekend, driving through the mountains. Driving no longer for utility (going from point A to point B), but to drive for fun.
- Car as a consumerist aspirational thing: The notion of having something to strive towards possessing.
- Car as totem of power: To flex how rich you are, and your social status.
- Car as hobbyist tuner thing: Modifying your car is like working on a sculpture. Building your car as an art object. To customize it is your artistic pursuit and self-expression.
- Technological marvel: Tesla Roadster (1.9 second 0-60 time) is insane (for a ~$250,000 car). Faith in technology, cheaper prices, and the extent of human innovation. Belief in a greater future.
Love the sculpture of cars — like moving kinetic energy! Also the proportions of cars, their aerodynamic features, and unlimited ways to envision and design them!
Collection of cars photos I have. Perhaps this might turn into a project.