Once you’re retired, financially independent, “location independent”, a “digital nomad”, and have achieved all the external measures of success, how do you prevent or conquer existential dread? (Danger of nihilism — that there’s no “purpose”to life)
My simple suggestion and solution:
Become part beast (powerlifter), part philosopher, and part artist.
What works for me:
- Strive to increase your “one rep max”in deadlifts and squats indefinitely. Constantly seek more physical strength.
- Continue plumbing the depths of philosophy, poetry, and art. My heroes and inspirations include Kanye West, Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, Epictetus, Epicurus, Nietzsche, Goethe, Horace.
- Never stop making art! Pursue entrepreneurship and take risks.
- Never stop traveling, exploring and visiting new places, trying new foods, discovering new cultures, learning new languages, learning new dances, and listening to new music.
- Share your own personal revelations and lessons in life on your own blog or YouTube Channel.
- Get married, have kids. Genetic lineage. Know your life is short and small in the grand scheme of things. The goal is to instruct future generations!
- Study the lives and actions of the great individuals and heros of the past, and strive to become great yourself!
- Never stop reading philosophy and studying great art. Also, never stop writing and creating your own art.