Based on my thoughts:
- Longevity: Ability to continue to innovate in their photography over decades. To keep shooting until they die (Andre Kertesz).
- Self-confidence: Making photographic art works to impress themselves, not others.
- Refusal to allow themselves be trapped within a genre.
- To think of photography less about capturing reality. More delight in artistic form, tones–a more artistic approach.
- Relatively simple, direct, yet elegant compositions. No need for “visual gymnastics” to “flex” their photographic skills.