Patina— wear and tear, and “improvement” of aesthetics through use, wear, tear, the effects of time as beautiful!
Beauty in wear and tear
For example patina in:
- Changing color of bronze, brass, denim, leather, and other materials.
- The beautiful cracks in a bowl or teacup (kinsiguri— Japanese art of highlighting imperfections with golden glue).
In photography, patina is:
- Grit and grain in photos (either digital grain in post processing, or in film grain).
Patina is beautiful
Perhaps changing the ethos and mode of thinking:
- Anti perfection in photography — delight in “beautiful mistakes”, scratches, light leaks, etc. Innovation in iPhone “Calla” app which simulates film beautiful imperfections and randomness/chance.
- Photography as expressing your emotions and feelings through the aesthetic you adopt.