We have the power in our own hands to dictate our own personal values in life:
Humans are valuing beings
Value is a man-made concept. And as human beings, we are the dictators of value-judgements.
Now the exciting thing is that the world is big enough and free enough for us to create our own new values in life. This means:
Dictate for yourself what you deem as “valuable” and ignore/disregard what you don’t care about.
I cannot speak for you, but here are my personal values:
- I value my personal freedom above everything: If you offered me a billion dollars in exchange for my freedom, I would resolutely refuse. For me, life is only enjoyable because of my freedom. The freedom to think what I want to think, the freedom to say or write what I want to say, and the freedom over my daily schedule and living circumstances.
- I value artistic and creative productivity: For myself I’m happiest when I’m actively making things, creating things, building things, challenging things, or researching/thinking. I hate anything which distracts or obstructs me.
- I value my social relationships: Morals and ethics are extremely important to me, and to me, friendship is the supreme external good for myself. I love Cindy, my friends and family, and strangers. I love all humans, and to me, one of the greatest blessings of being alive is to have the privilege to live in a social world. I love society.
What I don’t value
Things I don’t really care for:
- Money (money is the best social-coordination tool, but not an end in itself).
- Physical things (more stuff, more problems). I prefer living a more nomadic life, thus owning more possessions is a negative utility to me.
- House: I prefer living in a hotel or a small airbnb/apartment. Owning a house seems like the ultimate prison for myself.
- Status Symbols: Objects with status associated with it is a distraction, or causes anxiety (what if someone steals it, or robs you?). Owning a luxury car is ridden with the stress of people scratching your car. And the annoyance of expensive insurance and maintenance.
Create your own values for yourself
You got the power to create your own values in life. Only think of yourself “successful” if you’re proceeding or advancing in the direction of your own values. Disregard everything else!