To be honest, you cannot control whether you make a good photo or not. However you can control your ability to take risks, and be brazen!
Whenever you attempt a street photograph, you’re taking a risk. You have the risk of getting yelled at, you have the risk of getting physically retaliated against, or the risk of some sort of social punishment/stigma.
To be honest, I’m far from being the best photographer or street photographer. But my greatest strength is my brazenness, disregard for social norms, and my appetite for risk!
It is true that shooting street photography is scary– very scary! Shooting street photography is the most scary and difficult genre of photography (perhaps second to war photography), in terms of conquering your personal fears to take photos, at the risk of pissing someone else off.
But also recognize that one of the most difficult things in street photography is just having the guts to ask for permission to photograph someone. I believe it’s more difficult to overcome the fear of rejection (while asking) in street photography, when compared to shooting candidly.
I can do both, and I like doing both! For some pictures I like to shoot without permission, and other times I like to ask for permission. It just depends on the type of photograph I desire.
And not every photograph needs to be scary to shoot. There’s a lot of street photos which depend on your openness and perceptiveness to the world around you; your ability to see the beauty in the mundane and ordinary!
To be brazen is to be bold, and to take on the (conscious) risk of breaking some sort of social “rules” or taboos! And just because you take a scary photograph doesn’t mean it will be a good photo. But I generally have found that letting fear guide you is generally a good indicator or guide whether a photograph will be interesting or not!
First of all, I want to acknowledge and congratulate you for having the guts and courage to even attempt street photography. You’re cut from a different cloth; not all humans will attempt street photography. So give yourself a pat on the back for being a risk taker!
Secondly, recognize that the more risks you take in street photography, the better. And the more risks you take in street photography, the more courage you will build! And this courage will help you in all domains in life; not just photography, but business, personal, and all aspects!
Know that ultimately your life is short. Take risks, be bold, and brazen.
Why live a normal life? What are you made of?
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
Street Photography Starter Kit
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- The Film Shooter
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
MUSE by KIM
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15