How do you “succeed” in your photography and life as a modern photographer? How do you quantify “success” in your photography? How do you continue to grow, evolve, and become more powerful and motivated as a visual artist?
Make your own table of values of “success” for yourself
To start off, only you can and should define “success” for yourself.
Below is a list of what “success” means to myself on a personal level:
How I personally define success for myself
- Creative freedom: Making the pictures, images, and visual art which brings me joy — not being forced to make images I personally don’t like.
- Financial freedom: Making enough money not to worry about paying the bills. But the goal isn’t to die with the most commas and zeroes in my bank account.
- Growth, evolution, progress: To be constantly growing as a visual artist. To find new sources of inspiration through visual “cross pollination”— and never being satisfied with my art. To stay hungry and foolish, and to keep hustling.
- Meaningful work that empowers viewer and society: Visual art that is beyond myself — that will help inspire others to love living, and feel more optimism towards life. To feel joy through looking at my images.
- Legacy to help future photographers: Creating a new culture of experimentation, fearlessness, and openness.
Therefor your first step is to simply write out how you define “success” for yourself. Then the next strategy: figure out how you can best exploit your talents, to achieve your personal goals and barometers of “success”.
Personal photography life hacks
For me, here are some principles that help me achieve my personal goals, to feel “successful” on a day-to-day level:
- Push my visual limits: I seek challenge, obstacles, and difficulty in my life. Whenever I make new pictures, I think of challenging myself by making more difficult pictures. To me, a difficult picture is a picture which is scary for me to shoot (in street photography), or difficult in terms of making a dynamic yet simple composition.
- Publish 80% “good enough” work: There is no such thing as “perfection”. As visual artists, we are constantly in a state of flux, and constantly in a state of “becoming.” Therefore, if you let your inner-critic, or this silly notion of “perfectionism” hold you back, you’ll never publish anything. Treat your visual art as an experimental laboratory — keep making visual experiments with your pictures, publish, and keep evolving.
- Have fun: The ultimate photographer and visual artist is like a child, with a “child’s mind”— a spirit of exploration, play, and fun. Embrace child’s mind by not letting “rules” and boundaries hold you back. Rather, let your natural curiosity drive you forward, to accelerate your growth and learning process.
Try these out for yourself, and empower yourself. Be creative every day and never doubt yourself.
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
MUSE by KIM
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
Street Photography Starter Kit
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- The Film Shooter
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119