How do you become an “ethical” Street Photographer, and is there even such a thing?
Don’t let anyone shove their code of ethics down your throat
First of all, Ethics is personal. Generally, most people follow the “golden rule” (do unto others as you want others to do unto you).
Also, we generally follow the “silver rule” in Ethics, which is the negative version — (don’t do unto others as you don’t like others doing unto you).
What is your personal code of ethics?
The first question you gotta ask yourself is,
Do I like having my own picture taken?
If not, you will have a hard time photographing others. Why? Because you assume everyone else doesn’t like having their picture taken (silver rule).
In reality, there are (vain) people like me who like having their picture taken. Therefore for myself personally, I have no ethical problems photographing strangers. Why? Because I don’t mind having my picture taken, I assume others don’t mind either. Now, this isn’t true, but it certainly helps me overcome any ethical qualms in street photography.
Ethical vs the Legal
Legally, you can shoot street photography in public.
Now, the bigger question is… ethically, how do you feel photographing strangers? In what situations would you not photograph a stranger?
Follow your own heart in Ethics. Don’t let anyone super-impose their ethical beliefs on you.
For example, let’s say you want to photograph homeless people. As long as you have the right intentions, and feel ethically okay doing it, go for it. Realize, there will be other people who don’t like you photographing homeless people, because it violates their ethical code of beliefs.
Yet, once again… ignore all of the “haters”. They are trying to be Ethic tyrants— once again, forcing and super-imposing their ethics onto you. And I don’t think that is ethically okay. Nobody should force someone else to follow their ethical code of beliefs.
To sum up,
Ethics in street photography is following your own heart, gut, intuition, soul, and code of beliefs.
You must build your own personal code of ethics, and please please please… don’t try to force anyone else to believe the way you do.
Also, ignore the ethics of others. Build your own moral street photography code.
BE STRONG and stay true to yourself.
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
MUSE by KIM
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
Street Photography Starter Kit
- STREET NOTES $ 19
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- The Film Shooter
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1