CLOSER…a concept that can help us in photography and all aspects of life.
- Emotionally closer to family, friends, loved ones. Less censoring how you feel about your loved ones…tell them how much you love them. Don’t wait until they die to tell them how you really feel.
- Closer to your subjects in street photography. Get close enough you can see the color of their eyes. Closer street photographs are almost always better than street photographs that are too far.
Why are we afraid of closeness?
To get close makes you VULNERABLE. We are afraid of getting hurt. For those of you (myself included) who have had their heart broken…we know how shitty it feels when we open up our hearts to others, and then we get fucking stabbed in the back with icy cold steel.
Therefore, to be vulnerable requires STRENGTH, and CONFIDENCE.
Because whenever we make ourselves vulnerable, and when we take off our armor… others can see our weak points. Kind of how Samson revealed to his lover that his strength was in his hair… and then promptly got his hair cut and lost all his strength.
To me, an individual of VALOR and MAGNANIMITY doesn’t hide their flaws. Rather, they let their flaws shine radiantly.
In Japanese aesthetics, there is an art called KINTSUGI in which the broken parts of a bowl are re-glued together, but with this beautiful golden color. It highlights the imperfections but shows the beauty in the repair and the imperfection.
I think scars are beautiful. A person with a scar on their face… I have more respect for that person. It isn’t something to hide, but rather something to show off.
On my film Leica MP camera, I love the “brassing” or the patina it shows through the wear and tear. All scratches on my camera has a story. I remember the times I dropped my camera, scratched it or used it. Where I use my camera, a golden bronze sheen reveals itself. The same goes with having a nice pair of RAW DENIM, the more you use it, the more it moulds to your body.
When in doubt, get closer.
Anyways apologize my digression.
Emotional closeness, close to your subjects in photography, and closer to whatever interests you or whatever you study.
CLOSENESS should be our new life motto.
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- The Film Shooter
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
Street Photography Starter Kit
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- STREET NOTES $ 19
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
MUSE by KIM
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0