If I started street photography all over again, one technique I wish I knew was the “bookend” technique.
What do you need bookends for?
Imagine a book-shelf. You have tons of books on the shelf, but it isn’t quite full. You have some books falling over.
What is the solution to prop up the books and prevent them from falling over? Simple: add “bookends” to each side of your books. This keeps them together.
Bookends in photography
You can apply the same metaphor to your photographs. If you want more energy and focus in the center of your frame, figure out how you can add visual “bookends” to the left and right side of your frame.
A “bookend” can be a wall, a side of someone’s face, or some other element. The secret is you don’t want any negative space between your bookend and the background. You want the “bookend” to fill perhaps 30% of the left (or right, or both) sides of the frame.
How to capture “bookends” in street photography
When you’re shooting street photography, a way you can integrate “bookends” to your images is to shoot with a relatively wide-angle lens (35mm or 28mm) and focus on the thing far away in the background. Then while you’re clicking, try to add a subject’s face, or bodily part to the extreme left or right of the frame. In a perfect world, you would want two bookends (to subtract distractions from the background, but also to add more dynamism to the middle of your frame).
Also by adding bookends— you can add more depth to your photographs. You can also help lead your viewer’s eyes to the center of the frame— and direct their eyes onto a “visual anchor” (the most important thing happening in your photograph).
Capturing bookends are hard in street photography
Capturing “bookends” is a more intermediate/advanced technique in street photography.
If you’re starting off, give it a go. Start off by having your friends or family members being “bookends” on the extreme left or right side of the frame.
Then once you’re comfortable doing that, try it out on the streets. Trust me, it will be damn hard— but once you master it, it will add additional interest and depth to your photographs.
Learn more about street photography techniques
To learn more street photography techniques, check out the article “15 Street Photography Techniques”.
For a more comprehensive overview, check out Street Photography 101 >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- STREET NOTES $ 19
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
Street Photography Starter Kit
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- The Film Shooter
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
MUSE by KIM
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290