I’ve written a lot of articles on how to shoot street photography— but I realized I have written very little on why shoot street photography. In this article I will outline some reasons why you should shoot street photography, as well as some personal reasons why I personally shoot street photography.
Before I started to shoot street photography, I was a pretty timid person. I was afraid of strangers. Afraid to talk to them, to interact with them, and to treat them like fellow human beings.
Street photography has built up my confidence in so many different ways. I am no longer anxious when I enter foreign and unfamiliar social situations. Street photography has given me the confidence to speak in front of large crowds. Street photography has helped me learn how to face fear in the eye— and not to fear failure. Street photography has helped me deal with rejection, and to be brave, try new risky ideas, and to have confidence in myself.
Street photography has afforded me the opportunity to find the beauty in the mundane, everyday things in life. Street photography helps me see the beauty of an old couple holding hands, a child playing without restraint, a person enjoying a nice cup of coffee— simple pleasures in life.
Street photography has helped me travel the world, to discover new cultures, and to embrace foreign ideas. Street photography has helped me realize that the world is much more similar than dissimilar— that we all have more in common than different.
Street photography has taught me that you can make meaningful photos regardless of where you live. Street photography has taught me that you can photograph your own (boring) hometown as meaningfully and thoughtfully as another photographer in NYC. Street photography has taught me that it is never the fault of the place where we live— but how hard we work as photographers.
Street photography has taught me that taking risks and working hard pays off. Street photography has taught me that the more time I spend in the real world, the more I will inject my life with serendipity, excitement, and joy.
Street photography has got my ass out of my apartment, and to experience life first-handedly. Street photography has taught me to not to have preconceived notions of people. Street photography has taught me that even the meanest-looking people can be the nicest people.
Street photography has taught me that I have no limits. Street photography has pushed me to create more graphic images— to combine the puzzle pieces of reality to create beautiful tapestries of society.
Street photography is sharing my soul with strangers. Street photography is saying hello to a barista or a waiter— and treating them like a fellow human being.
Street photography is not caring about your equipment, and about relishing in having the cheapest and most affordable equipment.
Street photography isn’t elitist— street photography can be shot by anybody. Street photography is the most democratic form of photography out there.
Street photography doesn’t care whether you are a “good” photographer or not— street photography only cares whether you shoot with all your heart and soul.
Street photography gives you the opportunity to make yourself naked in front of others. The more you open up your heart with others, the more others will open up their heart to you.
Street photography is so simple to do, yet so complex at the same time. Street photography has been practiced since the beginning of photography, and will continue as long as humanity exists on earth.
To me, street photography is the most pure form of photography. There are no obstacles which hold you back— only your own creativity and how you see and perceive the world.
Remember, you don’t always need to shoot “street photography.” At the end of the day, photography is photography.
But really— street photography, the art of capturing beauty in society in public places— is something that makes my heart sing.
Street photography keeps me hungry and curious about the world— just like a newborn child.
May I never get jaded by reality— street photography, help keep my eyes pure, fresh, and hungry.
Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 / 10:33am @ Philz coffee in Berkeley
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
Street Photography Starter Kit
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
MUSE by KIM
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- The Film Shooter
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495