(Above image by Anthony Spatara)
Hello. My name is Anthony Spatara, I am 35 years old and live in the great city of Chicago. I am not a photographer by profession nor do I wish to be. I run two successful Italian restaurants in the downtown area which keep me plenty busy. Photography for me is a way out from what I normally do on a day to day basis. I love walking the streets of any city and Interacting with people, exploring and just capturing images that seem interesting to me. I couldn’t tell you what inspires me to get up at the crack ass of dawn to walk the cold streets of Chicago to photograph. I am just addicted to it.
Inspirational photographers? Name any photographer from Magnum and I am inspired. Their photographers are responsible for every iconic photograph that has been burned into our American brains. They are the best. I have had the honor to meet a handful of them such as David Alan Harvey, Elliot Erwitt, Christopher Anderson and Steve McCurry. However, the one photographer out of Magnum that just blows my mind is Paolo Pellegrin. All I can say is wow. His photographs are just so unbelievable.
How I shoot the streets. I have my Leica M series camera and a wide angle lens and nothing else. Sometimes it is a hipshot, sometimes I set the scene and wait for my subject. Sometimes I follow interesting subjects and just wait for the right time. I mean sometimes I just get down-right creepy. I don’t know how to really explain my technique. When I see it, I just go for it. Of course I sometimes have to deal with the consequence of unhappy people. But that is part of the fun. It interests me how some people just don’t like to be photographed at all and others start working it like they are on a runway in Milan.
However, I have a tip for those that come across those subjects that do not relate well to being photographed. Have your own business cards made up with your name, phone number and web link if you have it. When you feel like they are going to make a huge stink about you photographing them, give them your card. Tell them what you do and why you are doing it. I feel like it takes some of the edge off and they realize ok, I get it, he is a photographer and this is what he does and he is not this random creepy guy hanging pictures on his bedroom ceiling. I mean, it has worked for me like 9 out of 10 times.
This is the first time I have ever contributed to a photo blog and am a bit unsure if I went about it correctly haha. Thanks Eric Kim for the opportunity.
Happy shooting to all!
More photos by Anthony Spatara
See more of Anthony’s work at http://anthonyspatara.com/
Which of Anthony’s photographs really speak out to you? Share your thoughts about his work in the comments below!
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- The Film Shooter
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
Street Photography Starter Kit
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
MUSE by KIM
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19