I have to say that I am a pretty passionate guy when it comes to street photography. However as I have recently noticed, passion simply isn’t enough when it comes to street photography. There are days that we aren’t going to feel inspired, which makes it really difficult for us to get in the streets and shoot.
Being quite interested in writing, I have read quite a few books on the subject. One of the wonderful books on writing titled, “Writing Down the Bones” gives an analogy on writing which I can relate closely with street photography. Writers aren’t always inspired to write, but they must set goals for their writing and be persistent and write everyday. For example, writers give themself rules to write at least a few pages a day. As a street photographer, we can apply this rule to ourselves as well (except with photography). We aren’t always going to feel inspired to shoot street photographs, so we need to make a goal to at least take a few photos everyday.
In Malcom Gladwell’s book “Outliers” he discusses the “10,000-Hour Rule”. According to his research, all of the successful people in the world such as The Beatles and Bill Gates have dedicated at least 10,000 hours to their craft. The Beatles have performed live in Hamburg, Germany over 1,200 times from 1960 to 1964, which amounts to about 10,000 hours. Bill Gates, who started programming at the age of 13, has programmed for at least 10,000 hours as well.
Have you shot on the streets for 10,000 hours yet? Think hard about it. 10,000 hours is a lot of time. If you compile up the time, 10,000 hours is about 417 days (assuming you took photos without any break). If you are diligent with your street photography and shoot for at least an hour a day, it will still take you 10,000 days (or 27.4 years) to truly master street photography. Now don’t let that massive number discourage you. Think about baby steps. Just shoot an hour a day, and the time will add up. Don’t have an hour a day to shoot? Make the time. Use your lunch breaks as I do to go out and shoot. If you care about something enough, you will make excuses to do something (not against).
Do you ever feel like you fall into slumps when you don’t feel like going out and shooting? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts and opinion on the subject!
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
MUSE by KIM
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- The Film Shooter
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
Street Photography Starter Kit
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course