I love the photos of Garry Winogrand. Why? Let me explain:
- His dynamic and “edgy” compositions. He pushed the boundaries of what one could do with a wide angle 28mm lens in street photography
- His gutsy attitude: Winogrand was quite bold in his shooting. He got close and was quite aggressive to get the shots he wanted.
- He was constantly experimenting with form and composition in his photography. He didn’t just shoot the standard and boring compositions. He experimented with tilting his frame, using a flash, and adding more (or fewer) subjects to his frame.
- His love of life! It shows he loved life through his photos. Ultimately I think all of us as photographers must love life more than we love photos.
- His disregard for rules and convention, and following his own path!
- His philosophy: “I photograph the world to see what the world looks like photographed.”
Some photos I shot from his book, “Figments”: