One of the simplest and most effective compositions we can integrate into our photography are triangle compositions. Some basic ideas:
Why triangle compositions?
Triangles are simple and elegant. They add balance to the frame, and also dynamism and interest.
Simple ways to shoot triangles:
- Hand gestures and faces: Make a simple triangle with someone’s head on top, then their hands on their chest to make a triangle.
- Center your subject, then look for two elements to complete the triangle composition.
- Put your selfie in the photo to complete the triangle composition.
- Fishing technique: Look for two parts of the triangle in the frame, and wait for someone to enter the frame!
- You will often discover the triangle composition once you’ve gone home and start reviewing your photos. Identify your triangle compositions after the fact!