An aphorism is a short, poetic saying, distilled with philosophical insight and wisdom. Here are some of my favorite photography aphorisms that inspire me (from my memory):
- When in doubt, click.
- Shoot 25% more than you think you should.
- You must milk the cow a lot to get a little bit of cheese. – Henri Cartier-Bresson
- If your photos aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough. – Robert Capa
- Once you start laughing and crying with your subjects, then you’ve started to make progress as a photographer. – Weegee
- It’s better to take a shitty photo than no photo.
- When in doubt, ditch.
- When in doubt, throw it out.
- When you think you’ve got the shot, you haven’t got the shot (yet).