Istanbul: one of the best places in the world to shoot street photography. Such a great diverse group of people, at the cross-roads of so many vast cultures.
Istanbul street photography videos
Lessons shooting street photography in Istanbul
- Shooting on Kodak Portra 400 (all these photos) was tons of fun. I shot 35mm film, on film Leica MP and 35mm f/2 Summicron lens. When shooting in Istanbul, I was generally picky about the scenes I shot– but when I saw a scene I liked, I would ‘work the scene’ and shoot lots of photos of that one scene. Learn how to Shoot Film >
- People in Istanbul are so open minded, kind, and loving. I loved shooting there, because people were super-chill about being photographed. Highly recommend going to Istanbul for street photography.
- I had fun with Charlie shooting at the bus station; tons of action, movement, and fun.
- The water in Istanbul is phenomenal; and it renders SUPER WELL in Kodak Portra 400 film.
- Moral: Go to Istanbul and shoot street photography once before you die!
SHOOTING: Behind the Scenes
Work the scene:
Shoot more than 1 photo of the scene:
The look of shooting film with a flash in street photography through windows:
Photographing kids running around:
Photos lie: Tell your subjects NOT to smile to make more interesting photos!
Candid flash street photo near the bazaar; juxtaposition between old and new:
The beautiful water in Istanbul:
The beautiful golden light in Istanbul:
Travel Photography Articles
- My Favorite Travel Street Photography Equipment
- Why I Love Traveling
- 10 Tips How to Take Better Travel Photos
- Life Lessons I’ve Learned Living Abroad and on the Road for the Last 2 Years
- How to Make Better Travel Pictures
- 10 Travel Hacks
- 25 Travel Photography Tips For Beginners
- Will Traveling Make You a Better Photographer?
- Why Travel?
- How to Travel as a Photographer With Family
- Economy of Movement
- On Travel and Street Photography
- 10 Tips For Traveling and Shooting Street Photography
Travel photography tips video