Today David Alan Harvey just arrived from France, and I had one last morning session with Constantine Manos. Below are my notes and video critique recordings:
Also check out Karl Edwards notes on “Street Shootr”:
- ‘devices’ : tools of composition, light, shadows
- Avoid ‘bad cut “of subjects in corner of frame
- Avoid ‘too general “
- “nothing particular special is going on”
- “I hate to see shapes cut off at edges” ***
Critique 1. Sharona
- Batting average: 1 shot per roll keeper rate for Manos ***
- Dodging and burning honest.
- In post processing: do anything you can do in darkroom.
- Don’t change information in scene: don’t clone photos out.
- Photograph shoulders in frame.
- We’re not doing documentary ogotogtsogt. We’re doing beautiful photography. ***
- Photojournalist is news, magazine. No cut off heads. Some photo journal is beautiful. But more functional.
- I’m not documentary, photojournalist.
- I do personal documentary. ***
- Photographing expression of your feeling. Not what it looks like. ***
- Turn ordinary extraordinary. ***
- Everything in world is ordinary.
- Don’t be carried away what happens in center if frame.
- Street photography as most challenging type of photography. . ***
- Portraits. As easy.
- Photograph blonde lesbian in Budapest: boring
- Photographing man holes: who cares?
- Sometimes blur is ok.
- Auto camera is great in night in Times Square.
- High ISO of digital helps shoot at dark areas. Can’t shoot film.
- Canon SLR, 85mm, f2. Color negative film. Fuji 1600 at 800.
- Color looks better over exposed ***
- Overexpose color negative film by 1 stop ***
- Koda 64 ISO. ISO at 80, little dark. Prefer dark side, color slides.
- Too easy photos avoid.
- Need something exceptional to happen
- Photos exist for its own sake.
- Articulate what you did right and wrong.
- Easy road: portrait of old lady.
- Avoid easy photos
- Thousands of flower bird, landscape photos.
- Avoid too easy photo.
- Better the photos longer it will last. See again over again, enters memory bank. We have photos we remember.
- Hcb; puddle photo. Nobody took photo like that before.
- Green pepper by Weston, shot with 8×10: made contact. Never seen ordinary object like pepper so beautiful. Not what it was, how the camera showed beauty in ordinary. Photos dependent when it was made.
- Photo with infinite life. How rare is moment? Photos will exist 50 years later *** process and search as fun
- Poem: photos ***
- photos in book! collection of poems
- Think vertical or horizontal before.
- Think before shooting. Don’t panic ***
- Chris chadbourne (Google)
- David saxe (Google)
- $20-30k to self publishing
- High ISO great with digital cameras at night (use it)
- 200 ISO used to be fast with film!