Is college “worth it” and in today’s brave new COVID world, is it even worth going to college?
Depends. This is my thought:
- Don’t go to college if you’re gonna go into (any) debt.
- Go to college if you’re in poverty and want to climb the socio-economic ladder (study computer science).
But the most important question:
Why college? What do I personally want from it? Job training? Wisdom augmentation? Meeting new people? Expanding my mind and social network? A future mate?
What I gained from college
- I met my future wife (Cindy)
- I met one of my best friends (random freshman roommate, Kevin).
- I had the opportunity to create the UCLA Photo Club.
- Studying sociology at UCLA gave me the chance to “unlearn” much of the BS I learned as a kid growing up to mainstream media.
“Pursue what you are truly passionate about, not just what makes a lot of money or sounds practical. College is not job training, it is life training”.
Also.. in praise of becoming a critical and independent thinker.
When you fail to pursue your passion, you fail to even exist.