Our modern vices: self-doubt, self-fear, hesitation. To me, these are all rooted from lack of faith in ourselves.
Where does lack of self-faith come from?
Our lack of self-faith is to blame on society, the culture in which we were raised, and moral and ethical values derived from our parents, teachers, and from religion.
So it isn’t our fault that we lack self-faith. However, we have the power as adults to change our preconceived notions of ourselves. We have the power to “reformat” our minds and self-conception of ourselves. It is our duty to build self-confidence in ourselves, if we desire to do epic shit in life while we’re still alive!
What is the practical function of self-faith?
I believe self-faith is essential to doing anything epic in life. Why?
When you attempt something truly great, there is a high likelihood you will be considered crazy by others, and a high chance you will fail. But you need enough determination, and foolish self-faith in order to pursue your great goals and aims.
Not only that, your idea might be considered“stupid” by others, but you must be powerful enough to convince/persuade/force others to follow or listen to you.
Consider the tyranny of Steve Jobs. If it weren’t for his insanely focused and determined artistic vision, all computers and devices would still be the ugly beige boxes they were in the past.
Or consider the “stubbornness” and courage of Gandhi —a “foolish” peaceful revolt against the British. Or the “suicidal” behavior of Martin Luther King Jr. — encouraging black power and uprisings, even though it put him and his family in direct danger (and ultimately cost him his life).
This is what I think it means to be a hero — to pursue your own epic mode of life (in the hope you can benefit others), and disregarding your own personal “happiness” along the way. This means, not being afraid of pain, struggle, and difficulty. In fact, realizing that an epic struggle is precisely what makes this whole process fun and interesting for us!
Self faith is everything.
I’ve been able to build up my own self-faith by the following:
- Lifting very heavy weights, and becoming stronger physically. It is phenomenal what accomplishing a 405+ deadlift can do for your own ego and self faith in the idea — you can truly do anything if you put your mind and muscles to it.
- Listen to more empowering music and read more empowering books. JAY Z, Kanye, Dr. Dre, Nietzsche, Nassim Taleb, Seneca, Marcus Aurelius.
- Learn to live powerfully on a frugal lifestyle. Strive to empower yourself with the simplest of foods (eggs, pork, coffee), and stay focused on your own epic life goals.
- Don’t read comments online — either on you or on others. Much of the internet is seething with negativity and disempowering vibes from petty, envious, and jealous peoples.
- Move quickly, and produce things without effort or thought. Publish what you consider 80% “good enough” (satisfice). Mindset of “onto the next one”.
- Intermittent fasting, cold showers, and hot sauna at the gym. Build up your physiological strength to irregularity, chaos, and pain. Learn not to be afraid of pain. In fact, we need “growing pains” in order to become stronger!
More strong thoughts to come!