Similar to the notion of “purposeful procrastination” comes my new notion of “delightful delay”:
Don’t feel rushed to adopt new technologies. Don’t be an “early adopter”. Delight in delaying trivial decisions!
- Delight in the classics (classic books, poetry, design, artworks)
- Be skeptical of new technologies and “first generation” products.
- When in doubt, don’t buy it.
- Stick to the tried and true.
- Don’t seek to “improve” your workflows. Seek to simplify and streamline your workflows.
- Ignore trends and hype. If it smells like a fad, it probably is a time-wasting and distracting fad, that will quickly pass.
- If you discover tools you really like, stick with them as long as possible!
- With technology, often it is a good idea to invest in something one generation older (used or refurbished) for massive savings and better value!