When I was 20, I was dissatisfied with my photography. I felt like I was being limited by where I lived.
I thought if I wanted to become a better street photographer, I needed to live in Europe — and photograph the romantic streets of Paris, the back-alleys of Prague, and the bustling streets of London.
But the sad reality check was that after backpacking in Europe for a month, I didn’t become a better photographer. I saw some unique things, met interesting people, had different food, and whatnot — but I didn’t become a better photographer.
I think the beauty of traveling is it gives you a chance to explore the world. To broaden your horizons. To become less narrow-minded, and ethnocentric to your own culture.
Traveling helps you have novel experiences, which can lead to moments of self-discovery.
I think traveling is one of the best bang-for-the-bucks you can get in terms of excitement in life (for your money).
How do you become a better photographer?
However, if you want to become a better photographer, you need to train yourself — you need to shoot more, push yourself, challenge yourself, experiment with different compositions, attend photography workshops, invest in photography books (instructional and art books), and learn from your mistakes.
After traveling abroad a lot the last few years, I’ve made many “exotic” photos — but none of them are good photos. They are certainly aesthetically unique, different, and foreign — but that is all they are. They don’t evoke a deeper mood, emotion, or sense of humanity (compared to some of the photos I shot back home).
Once again, I don’t want to discourage you from traveling. But if you’re going to travel — be realistic with yourself. You’re not going to create an amazing body of work in just one week, one month, or one year of traveling.
Travel for personal growth and experiences. But know that you can be a great photographer, regardless of where you live, and regardless if you travel or not.
Learn more about traveling and photography >
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
Street Photography Starter Kit
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
MUSE by KIM
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- The Film Shooter