Back in March there was a heated debate about this photo taken of 15-year-old Fabienne Cherisma, who was shot and killed by police after stealing two two plastic chairs and three framed pictures. It reminded me much about my recent blog post about Ethics and Street Photography.
In March 2010, Hansen discussed the image and circumstances of Fabienne’s death stating, “For me, Fabienne’s death and her story is a poignant reminder of the need for a society to have basic security – with or without a disaster.”
Looking at the image above, it is a very emotional image that does bring great amounts of awareness to this horrible issue. However when looking at the photo below shot by photographer Nathan Weber, I feel that the story changes. Rather than having the image being a positive political tool, it looks like the photographers below are more like vultures– all trying to get the best version of the image and exploiting this horrible crime.
It is crushing to see how emotionally detached these photographers can be when shooting the image by checking their LCD screens in a casual way (edit: I mistook a photographer checking his settings for viewing his LCD). Although I do highly respect that the hard work and sacrifice that photo journalists go through, this image above personally jarred me.
So what do you think, do you think this image is ethical? What is your take about the job of photojournalists and having to capture scenes like this? Leave a comment below and tell us what you think.
In the comments photographer Chad Pister mentioned this article which showed the dead body of Fabienne Cherisma in a different position which appeared in The Guardian. In the shot by Carlos Garcia Rawlins, it shows Fabienne’s arm positioned differently while showing an image of a flower when compared to the shot by Paul Hansen. If you happen to know the true story of what happened, please leave a comment below.
Prison Photography has some more answers about the following event here.
Unleash your creative potential:
- November 28-29th, 2020: ERIC KIM MARKETING MASTER CLASS - NOW LIVE!
Be notified of when new workshops are live here.
Master photography >
THE OG STRAP >
JUST SHOOT IT!
Master street photography >
Own a piece of street photography history > For you >
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Photography Entrepreneurship Online Course
- TRAVEL NOTES: Photography Assignments & Inspiration Manual $ 20
The Digital Nomad [FLASH SALE]
- Photographer's Hand ARTWEAR $ 39
- New Henri Neck Strap Mark III $ 139 – $ 149
- FILM NOTES Mobile & Printable Edition $ 19
- MASTERS Volume 1 Mobile Edition $ 15
- STREET NOTES MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 19
- 30 DAYS TO JUMPSTART YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY Mobile Edition $ 10
LIMITED EDITION HAPTIC NOTEBOOK x ERIC KIM
Henri Wrist Strap Pro
- TRAVEL NOTES: Mobile Edition $ 12
Henri Wrist Strap (Crema Brown)
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Print Edition $ 19
- THE CITY OF ANGELS by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- FREE ERIC KIM Lightroom Presets $ 0
- My First Photography Book Limited Edition Hardcover + Free Mobile Bonus $ 10 – $ 29
Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Mastering Street Photography Book
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY $ 29
- CINDY PROJECT by Eric Kim $ 495
- I SHOOT STREET PHOTOGRAPHY Artwear $ 29
PHOTO JOURNAL: Mobile Edition
- STREET NOTES $ 19
- The Film Shooter
Street Photography Starter Kit
- ZEN OF ERIC: Empower Yourself with Philosophy and Photography
- SHOOT FILM Artwear $ 29
- MEMENTO MORI Artwear $ 39
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Women's Artwear $ 39
- LAUGHING LADY: Collector's Edition Artist Proof Print $ 499
- STREET HUNT: Street Photography Field Assignments Manual Mobile Edition $ 10
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER: Marketing, Branding, Entrepreneurship Principles For Success $ 19
PHOTOLOSOPHY: Photography Philosophy Course
- FILM NOTES Print Edition $ 19
- MASTERS Book: A Distilled Street Photography Primer $ 50
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Photography Online Course
- ERIC KIM Neck Strap Mark II $ 119
- VITRUVIAN CAMERA - Men's Artwear $ 39
- Embark On Your Own Photography Adventure Flowchart $ 1
ERIC KIM Wrist Strap Mark II
- ERIC KIM Case $ 99
- Henri Shoulder Strap $ 169 – $ 179
MUSE by KIM
- DARK SKIES OVER TOKYO by Eric Kim $ 1,290
- SUITS by Eric Kim Limited First Edition Hardcover Photobook $ 350
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography $ 10
- PHOTO JOURNAL Print Edition + Free Mobile Edition $ 19
- CREATIVE EVERY DAY MOBILE EDITION: PDF & KINDLE $ 10
- HAPTIC HOODIE ARTWEAR $ 49
- RICOH MAFIA Artwear $ 29
- FREE Photography Visualization PDF Resources $ 0
- Henri Wrist Strap CHROMA LIMITED EDITION $ 49 – $ 79
- Camera Straps $ 49 – $ 169