Just tested out the new iPhone 8 camera, and I’m super impressed. All photos are straight out of camera, with no processing. Some personal thoughts:
1. Shoot while lowering your exposure
To make better photos, shoot by lowering your exposure on your iPhone. The photos look 10x better.
2. Low light is fine; not great
For better low light performance, shoot HDR+ on a Google Pixel Phone, or download the Android HDR+ (hacked app) for your phone (just Google it).
The tones of the iPhone 8 camera look fantastic. They feel moody, calm, serene, with enough saturation and punch. The photos look good.
The iPhone 8 camera is fast, responsive, and shoots like butter. I like the haptic response of the phone buzzing a bit when you take a photo. It reminds me of the haptic feedback when you shoot with a camera with a mirror, or with an old film camera.
Getting a tactile and haptic response when taking photos feels good.
5. Phone cameras are awesome
I’m starting to ask myself:
Why not just shoot everything on a phone?
It’s always with us, and it’s fast and quick to process photos with VSCO, and to share is so easy.
6. Less is more
Another idea: if you want to make better photos; seek simplicity and minimalism.
One of the good thing about phone cameras:
Because your screen is so small, you make simple compositions.
99% of your viewers are seeing your photos (horizontally) on a 5” device anyways.
Thus, to make stronger compositions, make them simpler.
7. All phone cameras are good
Honestly at this point, almost all phone cameras are great. Some personal favorites:
- Google Pixel (I find lots more innovations in the HDR+ mode)
- Any iPhone
- OnePlus (download the Google HDR+ camera hack for it)
8. Shoot more with your phone
The phone is a legit camera. If you like shooting with your phone; shoot on!
iPhone 8 Picture Examples (no post-processing)
Most shot with minus exposure compensation, on the default iPhone app:
The best camera is a phone:
- The Phone is a Legitimate Camera
- Review of the iPad Pro 10.5 Inch Camera for Photography
- Why Computational Photography is so Revolutionary
- The Zen of Phone Photography
- How to Take Better Pictures on Your Phone
- Universal Basic Photography
- Portfolio: Phone Photography by ERIC KIM
- Why You Should Subscribe to VSCO X Paid Service
- Phone Street Photography Tips
- How to take Better Photos on Your Phone
- Is iPhone a real camera?
- The Holy Grail of Photography
- 10 Reasons Why Your Smartphone is the Best Camera
- The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to iPhone/Smartphone Photography
- 7 Benefits of Shooting Street Photography With a Smartphone
- What if Smartphones Had The Same Image Quality as DSLR’s?
- My Experience Shooting Street Photography With A Smartphone vs Medium-Format
- Why the 4’’ iPhone SE Will Revolutionize Photography
- In Street Photography, The Smaller the Camera, the Better