Many of us like books– but why? What use do books have, and why invest in photography books, instead of buying photography equipment and gear?
So first of all, buying equipment and gear in photography isn’t bad. We need equipment, cameras, and gear to of course, make photos!
The problem is when we think that buying new camera equipment will respark your passion for photography, and help you make better photos.
The truth is, the best way to respark your passion for photography is finding inspiration from great photographers! This is why I think as a photographer, the best bang for the buck return on your monetary investment are photography books; whether instructional or educational photo books, art photo books, or any books in general! (self-help books, philosophy books, literature, nonfiction, fiction, etc).
In other words, anything that can inspire you to make more art is a good investment!
Consider that a new digital camera is let’s say, around $1,000 USD. If a photobook is around $20-50 dollars, you can buy 20-50 really nice photo books to keep you inspired! That’s like a book every month for 2-4 years! You’ll never run out of inspiration!
Just as encouragement, don’t get suckered by camera companies, camera websites and blogs (that try to make lots of money from affiliate referrals). It’s in their best interest to keep you perpetually dissatisfied with your camera gear, so you keep buying more camera gear.
Your goal: never stop shooting photos!
So when in doubt, don’t worry about the gear. Trust in yourself, your photo books, and JUST SHOOT IT!
To conclude, buy more photo books if you’re lacking inspiration. Get started with the resources below:
PHOTOGRAPHY PDF BOOKS
- HOW TO SEE: Visual Guide to Composition, Color, & Editing in Photography
- Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Mastering Street Photography / Kindle Edition
- STREET HUNT / Kindle Edition
- STREET NOTES: Mobile Edition / Kindle Edition
- MODERN PHOTOGRAPHER
- STREET PHOTOGRAPHY 103
- Dynamic Composition Manual
- Photography Startup Manual
- PHOTOGRAPHY MASTERCLASS
- PHOTOGRAPHY ENTREPRENEURSHIP MANUAL by ERIC KIM
- STREET PHOTOGRAPHY MANUAL by ERIC KIM
- THE PHOTOGRAPHER by ERIC KIM
- The Art of Street Photography
- 100 Lessons From the Masters of Street Photography
- Zen Photography
- Personal Photography Manual
- Street Photography Contact Sheets Volume II
- Street Photography Contact Sheets Volume I
- Street Photography Composition Manual
- Street Portrait Manual
- Street Photography 101
- Street Photography 102
- Color Manual
- Monochrome Manual
- 31 Days to Overcome Your Fear in Street Photography
- Letters From a Street Photographer
- Street Photography Aphorisms, Heuristics, and Sayings
Below are my favorite photo books:
- Josef Koudelka: Exiles
- Josef Koudelka: Gypsies
- Dan Winters: Road to Seeing
- Alex Webb: The Suffering Of Light
- Robert Frank: The Americans
- Martin Parr: The Last Resort
- Trent Parke: Minutes to Midnight
- Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Decisive Moment
- Photographers’ Sketchbooks
Join ERIC KIM NEWSLETTER and be the first to get exclusive content, access to books, presets, artistic information to empower you.