Wayne Gretzky, best hockey player of all time said:
Don’t skate to the puck. Skate to where the puck is going to be.
First, study trends.
Some trends I see:
- More people using phones for everything (young high schoolers call it a phone, not a “smartphone”)
- Advertising is becoming more sneaky, and part of our everyday device s
- Luxury and high-end goods are gaining in popularity
- Amazon, Apple, Google, and Facebook are taking over the world and constantly growing.
- Middle class is dying: society is being split into the poor and the very rich.
Things that will never change about human beings:
- Enough is never enough: We will always want a bigger house, a more expensive car, more exotic clothes, and want to travel more.
- If we have a choice, we will always want more money.
- We love FREE: we will easily give up privacy for more free shit, and more convenience.
Predict the future by building the future
For myself, Cindy and I are building ERIC KIM FORUM: because I hate Facebook and Instagram (ok, not hate, but I prefer having more control and freedom).
We believe in community building and having a positive outlet. Honestly, social media is all this stupid popularity contest. The forum is more open to assignments like STREET CLUB.
Be the change.
So therefore, I cannot complain about how much Instagram and Facebook sucks, without actually making a difference or building something. Thanks to Cindy for building the forum (all the credit goes to her).
JAY-Z and Kanye are smart, they see that nobody buys CDs anymore. They are focused on streaming, which is already the present world, and the trend will continue.
A random idea anyone can steal: make a paid subscription “streaming” service for photographers, digital photo books, videos, and educational resources.
PHONE PHOTOGRAPHY or DIGITAL MEDIUM FORMAT (DMF) PHOTOGRAPHY
Human nature: we want to differentiate ourselves from others. What better way to show off, to show that you own a $10,000 DIGITAL MEDIUM FORMAT CAMERA than being an iPhone shooter?
I already see it now. You can buy a very good iPhone for only $400 (iPhone SE has the iPhone 6s camera, and only costs $400). Leica camera is doing well, because they branded themselves as luxury goods. You don’t buy a Leica camera, you buy “men’s jewelry” to wear it like a $10,000 necklace at a camera exhibition or party.
ANOTHER IDEA anyone can steal: start teaching digital medium format workshops, or blogging on digital medium format photography. Right now, adoption of digital medium format is still low. But camera companies like Fujifilm, Hasselblad, and Pentax are investing into DMF photography.
Personally, I’ll probably get a DMF camera soon. I follow my “two camera rule”– I can afford to buy two digital medium format cameras for around $10,000. Might be a good investment for myself in the future as a “photography influencer.”
The truth: you can charge a lot more money for a digital medium format photography workshop/experience, instead of an iPhone workshop. Even Apple are giving free “photo walks.” How can you compete with that?
Another idea you can take from me.
More photographers are entering the world. Anyone with an iPhone is a photographer, including your mom.
Therefore, there is a huge influx of people who wanna learn how to take better photos.
Education is a huge market for you to enter.
Don’t charge for information. Rather, charge a lot of money for curated experiences. Tourism will never go away. Never will travel. Never will experience. Experiences never die.
Ok, iPad is gonna take over personal computing.
You can buy a fucking amazing iPad for only $330, seriously, brand new.
What kind of shitty PC can compete with that?
I’m typing this on an iPad. Seriously, they are awesome. 99% of folks do not need a laptop. Honestly even my mom can do 99% of her stuff on her phone.
There will be a point that everyone on planet Earth will own an iPad. Why? We still like having big screens when we are at hone, relaxing on the couch, and consuming entertainment via video games or movies. Entertainment will never die, but continue to rise. Especially when we get replaced with robots, and we will have all these free leisure time to kill.
**Idea: How can you build a photo platform, service, or education resource for the iPad?*
Lightroom on iPad will be big.
VSCO is awesome. I recommend their paid subscription service. Their presets are the best, that simulate the look of film. Their minimalist design user interface is unparalleled. And anyone can afford $10 a month for a service.
Make custom bespoke, high end, custom tailored stuff for photographers. Custom straps, bags, or anything leather that looks cool.
This is what Cindy is doing with HAPTIC: making artful tools to differentiate you from the herd.
Anything you can make that can make other feel more unique is good.
For example, I will not buy a BMW 3 series, because everyone and their uncle drives one. I want a unique car. An old school Lamborghini (Porsche is so saturated). Or maybe just buy another 1991 Sentra SE-R and throw in a SR20VE engine and turbocharge it with 400+ horsepower. Or another old school 1990 Mazda Miata.
We want to be different (with the stuff we own)
I, as an irrational human, like to differentiate myself by not doing what the herd does.
Even now, I think Leica cameras are lame. Why? Everyone owns one. The film Leica MP cameras are cooler. This is why shooting film is cool, Because you can differentiate Yourself from phone or digital photographers. For inspiration buy FILM NOTES and see Japan Camera Hunter and CameraFilmPhoto.
Anyways, these are just some random ideas I have.
To me, I like to stay ahead of the curve because it is less boring, and more fun.
To be honest, I don’t need no more money. It’s nice, but not necessary.
I want to innovate for the sake of it, and I also wanna innovate to help more human beings.
To innovate more, be more open. Open source all your stuff. Trust me, you will win.
LOW STOCK: HENRI WRIST STRAP
If you want to make a living (or a killing) from photography, download:
KEYS TO SUCCESS
- How to Invest in Yourself
- The Two Camera Rule
- MEANINGFUL DIFFERENTIATION
- Advice For College Students
- How to Thrive in Uncertain Times
- CANNIBALIZE YOURSELF.
- DO AND GROW RICH
- Does Fear of Punishment Hold You Back?
- HOW TO GET MORE FOLLOWERS
- How to Innovate
- How to Build Your Own Empire
- YOU ARE ENTITLED TO HARD WORK.
- PICK YOURSELF.
- OWN YOUR PLATFORM
- 10 KEYS TO SUCCESS
Table of Contents
Learn how to make a living from your passion:
- Preface. BRAVE NEW WORLD OF PHOTOGRAPHY
- Chapter 1. How to Create Value
- Chapter 2. ZEN CAPITALISM
- Chapter 3. Scarcity
- Chapter 4. How to Brand Yourself
- Chapter 5. How to Build a True Following
- Chapter 6. The Blueprint to Success in Photography
- Chapter 7. HOW TO BE BOLD
- Chapter 8. How to Sell Out
- Chapter 9. GO AGAINST THE GRAIN
- Chapter 10. EXTREME ABUNDANCE
- Chapter 11. Photography Experience Economy
- Chapter 12. Why You Should Make Money for Your Photography
- Chapter 13. How to Become a Famous Photographer
Photography Business 101
How to Make Money with Photography
- How to Charge More Money in Your Photography
- Why You Should Not Pursue Photography as Career
- Can Photography Make You Rich?
- How I Earn $200,000+ a Year From Photography
- How to earn $10,000 a month as a photographer
- Why you must be an expensive photographer
Photography Marketing 101
- Why You Should Do Photography Work For Free
- How I Became an Internet Famous Photographer
- Photography Blogging Ideas
- Why You Should Promote Your Own Name
- How to Build a Following
- How to Stand Out as a Photographer.
- HOW TO GO VIRAL AS A PHOTOGRAPHER.
- How to Master Marketing
- How to Sell Yourself
How to Hustle.
- Entrepreneurial Advice to My 18 Year Old Self
- How to Become Insanely Productive.
- 5 Lessons From Hesiod on Hustling
- It is Better to Beg For Forgiveness Than Ask For Permission
- The Free Way to Become Rich
- JUST DO IT.
- 7 Steps: How to Make a Living From Your Passion
- How to Do What You Love for a Living
- How to Create an MVP (Minimum Viable Product)
- How to Fail Big
- How to Invest in Yourself
- How to Be Bold in Photography and Life
- Mission: Cover Your Rent and Food
- 1,000 True Fans
- The “10x Principle”: The Only Difference Between “Success” and “Failure”
- Make More Value Not Money
- We Live in a Photo Utopia
How to be a Full-time Photographer
- How to Make a Living From Photography
- The 3 Principles of Making Money With Photography
- Advice for Aspiring Full-Time Photographers
- Don’t Go Into Debt For Your Photography
- How to Brand Yourself as a Photographer
- Trust: The Most Important Thing You Need to Succeed as a Photographer
- How to become rich from photography blogging
- How to Make a Living with Blogging
- 50 Blogging Tips For Beginners
- How to Start Your Own Photography Blog
- A Photographer’s Guide to SEO, Blogging, and Social Media
How to Teach Photography
- How to Become a Photography Teacher
- How to Teach a Street Photography Class
- Why I Teach Street Photography Workshops
- Why I Deleted My Instagram
- The Social Media Blackbook for Photographers
- Why Do You Need More Likes or Followers?
- Instagram is Going to Be the Next Facebook
- Don’t Trust “Free” Photography Social Networks