For this month’s assignment, the editor’s choice, Kim Allen, chose “Adapting to the elements!”
(Details of joining and more info after the jump!)
Another timely and interesting choice. As the western hemisphere recently experienced a lot of snow and here on the east, it’s a constant mix of rain then suddenly ultra warm weather.
Here is how Ms. Kim Allen defined the assignment:
Adapting to the elements. i.e. Weather, etc. You have rain where people may have umbrellas, snow where people may be shoveling, walking on the streets because sidewalks are covered with deep snow, etc. Cold means people will have their faces down somewhat and look miserable, heat where people look flushed, etc.
Of course you can go with the literal translation but I think you can explore an approach that would give meaning to the expression “Adapting to the elements”. Show moments of ingenuity, resilience, or strength. As usual, try to be creative and experiment!
Some changes and new things happening!
I did an informal feedback and survey on how we can develop the group further and improve the experience of everyone. After some consultation and consideration, here are some of those insights that we will implement for this assignment:
- As requested, Assignment duration will now be extended to 3 Weeks.
- I will make an “event” on the facebook page to remind the members on the assignment duration.
- I’m also working on something similar to an online version of a portfolio review where you can send in a link or a place to view a project you are currently working on. Those that are interesting, has potential, needs work will be shown only to the group to get their feedback as well to hopefully guide you in pushing the work further! Still ironing out the details and the mechanics of this with your moderator, Fabricio Santos, but hopefully it will be implemented within the month.
So yes, things are looking up and should be a great start to the year! The group is moving close to 4,000 members and I want to add more learning experiences and/or opportunity for everyone to grow not just in the way of shooting but also in thinking what happens after the shoot by looking and assessing your own work!
Please do join in and let’s make things fruitful!
Here are the mechanics:
- Upload your photos interpreting the theme on the designated assignment album in the facebook page
- No words and captions, just your name, and place where you took the photo.
- On the comment on your own photo, post a link to your site (flickr, tumblr, webpage etc.) so that your photo would easily appear on the group’s feed. (Please do it only once)
- Feel free to use film, digital, instant film (polaroid/instax), mobile phones, etc. Any Camera will do
- Keep the file appropriate for web viewing (at least 72 dpi), no need for super hi-resolution.
Other things to know:
- We encourage you to shoot during the duration of the 3 WEEKS instead of raiding your archives.
- It should go without saying but please post photos that you own.
- This assignment will run from FEB 8 – FEB 29, 2016
- Don’t hesitate to ask questions or clarifications in the group page.
- Be open to learning, get up to the challenge, and of course have fun doing it!
At the end of the 2 weeks we will have an editor’s choice, picked by Eric and myself, and a community’s choice which garners the most reactions from the community through likes and comments. We will feature the selections on a post here on the blog. The Winner of the editor’s choice, gets to pick the theme for the next assignment!
If you want additional info about the Streettogs Academy, check my introductory post here
For those who want join the group and take on the assignments, Click on to the Streettogs Academy Facebook Page