Hopefully by now, you already know what this means! If you don’t know what we do, check my introductory post of Streettogs Academy Here! For those of you already know, read on!
So our young editor’s choice from the previous assignment, Salman, is very much interested with Surrealism. While brainstorming for this assignment, I asked him what he likes most about surrealism:
I guess the best thing I like is how masters of this craft can take seemingly ordinary looking everyday subjects and somehow turn them into something weird and extraordinary.
Surrealism seeks to question what we see at the surface level. It is more than just a transformation and turning something ordinary into extraordinary. It betrays the senses and most importantly, it is the theme for our assignment today:
As much as possible, try to approach this assignment in a not so straight forward manner. Look at the surrealist photographers such as Andre Kertesz, Bill Brandt, and Man Ray. Try to put the concepts they have contributed to the language of photography when you shoot the streets. It’s not enough to make a surreal image but it has to be “not of this world”. Make it something that our senses would most likely question but our minds will still try to make sense.
Go crazy (but don’t forget to always be safe!)
This is an amazing idea by our editor’s choice winner Salman Taseen Haque!
Best of luck to everyone!
Here are the mechanics:
- Upload your photos interpreting the theme on the designated assignment album in the facebook page
- No words and captions, just your name, and place where you took the photo.
- On the comment on your own photo, post a link to your site (flickr, tumblr, webpage etc.) so that your photo would easily appear on the group’s feed. (Please do it only once)
- Feel free to use film, digital, instant film (polaroid/instax), mobile phones, etc. Any Camera will do
- Keep the file appropriate for web viewing (at least 72 dpi), no need for super hi-resolution.
Other things to know:
- We encourage you to shoot during the duration of the 2 weeks instead of raiding your archives.
- It should go without saying but please post photos that you own.
- This assignment will run from Oct. 31 – Nov. 15, 2015
- Don’t hesitate to ask questions or clarifications in the group page.
- Be open to learning, get up to the challenge, and of course have fun doing it!
At the end of the 2 weeks we will have an editor’s choice, picked by Eric and myself, and a community’s choice which garners the most reactions from the community through likes and comments. We will feature the selections on a post here on the blog. The Winner of the editor’s choice, gets to pick the theme for the next assignment!
If you want additional info about the Streettogs Academy, check my introductory post here
For those who want join the group and take on the assignments, Click on to the Streettogs Academy Facebook Page