16 Great Examples of Street Photography Without People by the Community

1x1.trans 16 Great Examples of Street Photography Without People by the Community

Johnny Barrios

Hey streettogs, thanks to everyone who read this week’s post on how to shoot street photography without people and submitted their best images to my Facebook fan page! Congratulations to everyone who made the final cut next week. Tell us which photos you liked best, and stay tuned for our next assignment! Keep reading to see the rest of the best images of the week!

Andre Kayser

Jon Savage

Kelvin Kwok

Nicole Struppert

Sascha Markus

Tastino Photography

Vincent Tandijo Saputro

Tell us which images are you favorite by leaving a comment below!

Comments

Great shots. I was once criticized for posting a picture without people under the category of Street Photography. It was suggested to me that I should consider those shots “urban landscape” or “urban scenes”. I think that your post “5 Tips How to Shoot Street Photography Without People” illustrates very well how street photography does not necessarily need people on it.

I love the first one with the German Shepherd. The arm holding the leash makes it “human” but it’s just a humorous and interesting shot. The other one I like a lot is the doorway with the American flag in it. Such a beautiful record of a crumbling but beautiful old storefront – the juxtaposition of pride and decay makes it very interesting.
    Street photography to me is just that – photographing the streets. Sometimes they have people on them, sometimes not. I think the difference between urban landscape and street photography is basically scale.

These are great photos! But I’m with Fokko on this one. Maybe we can call this type of photography “streetscapes” or “urbanscapes”?? Love shots of this nature. Even though there are no physical presences of humans, the stories these photos tell are as human as any others.

Great point Danny. Although I do believe street photography is often better with people– as long as the images remind us of our humanity, it feels like street photography to me. Thanks for the input! :)

4. Isoterica says

Some really nice photos here. Johnny Barrios’ dog shot is amazing. Vincent Saputro’s bike shot has that strong feel of ‘people’ without people too. I think the bike is waiting for the rider. Well done.

5. David Glasco says

Some of the best work I have seen in quite some time. The images these people have captured show some thought as to what they were pointing the camera at. Much of it tells us a story. Unlike many of the images I have seen lately, which are nothing more than a snap shot.
    Show us more work like this.

Hi Eric: Thanks for Putting my photo on your short list of great photos. I like Barrios and Wenzel’s photos although my Hat is off to everyone here.

I especially like the last one, great textures and dark atmosphere !

Besides that, Eric I would like to thank you for your website that taught me a lot, I’m into photography since not long and I don’t know why I waited so long to discover all this :)

Favorites from this set were by Kelvin Kwok and Beverly Komatsu. Love how streets can express themselves so much without saying a word.

Really like the bird by Baru A Dacasin and the “Beach Zen Garden” by Jon S.

but they are all very good and in the list for a reason…
    (and of course I’m happy to have mine up there as well ;)

I think “street without people” can be as interesting as the other “street”. It’s just photography in the end. Boundaries are there to be broken :)

The first pic with the stencilled dogs is great (would look even better without the black “frame” line). The other shot with the dog tail and shampoo bottles is good (pity it’s smaller than the other shots).

1. [...] While on a recent trip to Paris, I happened to take an example of the amazing architecture and design.  I waited until everyone had left the station so that there were no distractions.  I converted it to B&W and it really made the picture pop.  This photo has also been featured on Eric Kim’s website. [...]